I am not happy with the problem child, not at all. After three firings, there is a definite discoloration/darkening of the chrome diopside, or perhaps not as much light is able to enter from either the front or the back. Either way, I’ve exceeded my capabilities to make any further improvements.
Here are shots of the result:
The problem child is on the left. You can see in this normally lit non-flash pic that both reds are dark, the yellow in the problem child is darker, and the visible amount of the green stone in the problem child is much smaller because of the reset bezel. Also, they are not evenly set because of the drilling done on the problem child.
This is the same shot as the first pic, but with greater illumination. The garnets and the problem child chrome diopside show abrasion on the surface, which affects their brightness.
When the yellows are not directly opposite each other (just as they would be while worn), the color difference is not as noticeable in this normally lit pic. However, the green stone is very obviously different.
The fronts on their sides under normal illumination.
The fronts on their sides under heightened illumination.
Looking through the backs under normal illumination.
Looking through the backs under increased illumination. Here you can clearly see the bezel reset.
Here the earrings are standing upright as they would be worn, but with very bright illumination. The greens look better, but this is not the lighting in which they will be worn; it only shows that all the stones DO refract and reflect light.
As I see it, these are the options:
- Keep the pair together and fit them as earrings. This was the original intention, but not the best option, IMO; I think the problem child looks awful. However, can be ready for gifting immediately.
- Scrap the problem child and fit the remaining piece as a necklace at no further cost (i.e., for down payment). Can be ready for gifting immediately.
- Scrap the problem child and try to rebuild a match using all new materials. Cannot be ready for gifting this year.
- Scrap both pieces and start over. Cannot be ready for gifting this year.
- Scrap the project and refund down payment. Find a different gift.
We will have to see which option my client chooses.