More Watercolor Folder Covers

7 Dec

These covers can’t be sold because of drawing copyrights, but I thought you might like to see them.  They’ll become gifts to family and friends:

This yellow rose watercolor was done “by the book” in terms of color choice and placement; to see my choices, check out the pink rose watercolor here.

These red poppies are my color version of the “by the book” orange poppies posted here.

The colors in this purple pansy watercolor started out “by the book,” but the author gives watercolor names without the watercolor manufacturer name or the pigment color index number, making it impossible to duplicate her results perfectly.  Also, maybe you are beginning to realize that I like a lot of color!  Her methods are meant to produce light, pastel colored paintings, but even when I can find the right paint to do that, I find myself yearning for more vibrancy–so I do it the way I like!  The biggest variation in this painting is the primroses, which were meant to be pale yellow and none of my yellows would behave for me.  So they became a vibrant red by layering M. Graham quinacridone rose over the existing muddy yellow.  I like the red result much better (believe me, you do too!).  My guess is that the book’s author/painter uses Winsor & Newton, but they don’t have all the named colors she requires, so I’m at a complete loss to make the correct substitutes based on the Pigment Color Index (CI) (my favorite source for learning about and selecting individual watercolor pigments on the web, because of the extensive testing they have performed and documented, is Handprint).  Here is the jumping off page to the color pigment comparison charts.

If you’re going to buy artist quality paint (vs student quality/craft quality paint), you need to select it based not on the color name, but on the Pigment CI number.  For instance, the guidebook I am using requires Lemon Yellow.  Schmincke, Sennelier, Utrecht, Art Spectrum and Rowney Artists all have a Lemon Yellow listed under PY3.  PY3 also includes DaVinci‘s Hansa Yellow Light, Lukas’ Helio Genuine Yellow Lemon, and Daniel Smith’s Hansa Yellow Light, which means that these shades of yellow use the same pigment and could be substitutes for each other (unless you have a specific requirements fo lightfastness, transparency, staining, granulation, hue shift, etc.).  Note that neither M. Graham nor Winsor & Newton have an entry under PY3 (the brands I own and use).

Winsor & Newton has a Lemon Yellow listed under PY53, a long ways (pigment-wise) from PY3.  All the other manufacturers of PY53 call their color Nickel Titanate Yellow (because the pigment used is nickel titanium oxide; arylide yellow is used for PY3).  There are other “lemon yellow” named colors, like Permanent Lemon Yellow, Winsor Lemon, etc., but if she meant those she should have said.  She either means the Lemon Yellows under PY3 or Winsor & Newton’s Lemon Yellow under PY53.  All this guessing could have been avoided if the author had written “Lemon Yellow PY3”.  Then the user would have had 5 manufacturers to choose from with confidence of achieving the lesson’s result.  And she’s a “professional artist”!  Grrrrr!  I don’t have any PY3 or PY53, and I don’t have the money to buy any, so I make do with what I have (M. Graham’s PY35, PY97 and PY151, and Winsor & Newton’s PY154).

These covers can be sold because I drew them myself, but I haven’t made them into folders yet:

I am hesitant because I don’t know if they’re good enough.  I used masking liquid on the flowers and then laid in the background of cobalt blue, first using a wet-on-wet technique dropping in straight undiluted paint and adding salt to create texture, then using an old toothbrush to spatter more cobalt after the flowers were painted.  I “tangled” the blue rose before coloring it, and it looks overdone and muddy to me.  I’m unsure if anyone will like it.  The pink rose is better, but a streak of blue paint bled through the masking straight through the heart of the picture (this happened on the blue rose, too, but of course it can’t been seen under all the layers of cobalt blue).  I turned the blue streak into a stalk of star flowers, but I think it looks just like what it is; trying to cover up a mistake.

I probably will re-draw and re-paint these roses again, and just keep these two as painful, paintful reminders.

%d bloggers like this: