I’ve been a bit off the mark lately, so this Flower Faerie Kat took a bit longer than I’d hoped for. Some rather pesky migraines have been keeping me company and I wish they’d move in with somebody else!
The wonderful Rhiannon, my constant inspiration, suggested that I try to add some kitty claws and this is my first effort — I have more pliable wire that I’ll try next time and the next set should be considerably shorter, plus more colorful.
I gave the mokumé gané technique another try for the wings and discovered that I need much more practice in the area of consistently slicing thinly — it’s harder than one thinks. The tissue blades bend and are exceedingly sharp. I’ve now tried skimming along the top and standing the stack on its side — I’m marginally better at skimming.
The kat tag is impressed with my faerie and cat logos, but I had leftover foil and covered the front so it’s totally hard to see (but pretty, nonetheless, I think).
I used a foil ball for the base of the head and now have eliminated all of my warping problems as I worked on the face (whew!); this also saves on the amount of clay (although, to be honest, it’s not a savings that’s measured in terms of money, but baking time). The foil core does make it necessary to modify how I set the eyes (the eyes are on a stem, which cannot be pressed into the foil core). So once again, this Flower Faerie Kat has been a huge learning session, occuring in itty bitty bits and pieces as my brain and migraine cooperated.
Hope you like the overall effect — she’s ready for All Hallow’s Eve!